Monday, August 23, 2010

Bristol or Bust!



If you would have asked me what I thought of NASCAR a week ago I would probablly tell you I was pretty indifferent. I have watched more races than I care to say, but I also in that time learned alot about it and know there is more to it then "just driving in a circle". Would I say I have a passion for it? NO. Do I hate it? No, (only when it keeps my hubby too occupied when I need or would like his attention, hehe) there are some interesting things about it, but would never choose to turn it on myself.

THis past weekend, Brad and I and our good friends Mike and Em took a roadtrip down to Bristol, TN to watch a NASCAR race. Truthfully, I was looking forward to it as a trip with great friends with no kids...a break from the norm. I had no idea what to expect from the NASCAR portion of the getaway...

After lots of travel, a night in a WALMART parking lot, and laughs on the way down, we rounded a bend and saw this HUGE arena and a sea of campers and tents....I mean for MILES! All the houses in the area had sold patches of their lawns for tents, cars, and campers. People were parking and walking 5 miles just to get to the venue! It was BANANAS! Unlike anything i have ever seen! This alone would have been worth the trip for me! We got to our campsite and set up shop. We met some really cool people in the lots around us and everyone was very cool and friendly and unhillbillyish! HAHAHA! DUring the day we explored, shopped the vendors, and hung out by the trailer. At night it was racetime!!!!



There were two races we attended, the Nationwide (like the minor leaugeS) and the Sprint Cup (the Majors). We hiked up to our seats (21 stories worth of stairs!) and donned our scanners and microphones. The noise is so loud, you cant talk to eachother without them! You can listen to all the driver chatter and the announcers during the race on the scanner. The races are so much more exciting in person and its so easy to get caught up in it all, fan or no!

The whole weekend was awesome and I cant wait to go again...never thought I'd say that!

1 comment:

The Terps said...

So glad you guys had such a great time! Sounds like it was a blast! Glad to know you would do it again!! ;))