Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fishing and life lessons


This post kept getting skipped over and forgotten, but the memories of fishing were some of the highlights of this summer! Poppy had told the girls he'd take them fishing at the cottage this August. He got all our old gear that I remembered from growing up (even the old holey tan glove we use to take the fish off the hook) and headed down the dock with the girls. I was pretty sure this adventure was not going to be long lasting, but oh was I wrong! The girls loved it and the fish were practically fighting eachother to get on the hook! (perfect for two antsy little girls!) ALtogether they caught about 10 fish, mostly pan fish but as you can see, Sabrina got a pretty good sized bass!



It was so much fun watching them learn how to fish with my dad, he taught us girls to fish when we were little and we took lots of little fishing trips to Huizenga park or Lake Laminations (the pond by where my dad used to work). I loved fishing with my dad and I loved that he taught us to fish like boys, not girls. I owe alot of my confidence and willingness to try things that are not tradiotionally "girly" to the fact that my dad never saw having three girls as a limitation to what he could teach us. When we fished, we were expected to bait our own hooks and take our own fish off, thats part of what fishing is why should that be any different because of your sex? Just that small lesson while fishing taught me about not letting the worlds expecations of me as a girl, limit what I can do! My dad always saw us as having unlimited possibilities and juch confidence in us, it was hard not to feel you could achieve anything! So blessed to have had this kind of dad :) and doubly bless to now watch this lesson be imparted to my girls!

And by the way, I still bait my own hook and take fish off :) Thanks Dad!

No comments: